Friday, July 12, 2013

MacBook Pro Retina SD card slot problem

I bought a 13" MacBook Pro Retina from a nice guy on craigslist a few months ago. It has been a spectacular machine in speed, capacity and light weight. SSD drives are certainly the way of the future.

One of the features of MacBooks has been the SD card slot, allowing users to plug in the memory chip from their camera or whatever, for quick and easy file transfer. Historically, I've not made use of these slots so I thought it would merely be another way water could be spilled into the machine, rather than a useful port. Since switching to a Canon Rebel t3i which uses an SD card, I have found the slot to be very handy and my preferred method of pulling photos and clearing out the camera memory.

After a few months of use however, the slot stopped working. I ignored it for a few weeks, thinking it would go back to working either through magic or the slight jarring that probably occurs when the machine rides around in my bag. When I tried it again and found it had not repaired itself, I gave it a scornful look and started messing with the seating of the SD card. I found, as I later discovered others had, that if the card is seated completely in the slot, it will not be recognized by the machine. If you pull the card out about 1-2 millimeters, the card will be recognized and work, though not consistently.

I brought the machine into the Genius Bar and they said the SD card board should be replaced. This was done under warranty because the machine is only 7 months old, but all told it would have cost $83.32. For anyone who is facing this troubling problem, see if your machine is still under warranty. If so, pop into a Mac shop and get it fixed. If you're not under warranty and want to save money, maybe you can ride out the millimeter fix until the board finally dies. Then you'll have to belly up and pay the piper or use a USB reader, which is no big deal.

No comments: